Friday, February 27, 2009

Thu Saminathen - Relationships

“Are you single?” is a common opening line to hear in your late-teens to early-twenties stage. Relationships are a big factor in everyone’s life. You're either in a solid rock relationship and are fully in love, or despise every aspect of what a relationship holds. As for me, I can go both ways. I’m not really looking to settle down, but if Mr. Right came along, I wouldn’t mind.

My theory on relationships, coming from experience, is this: At our age, no one should be ready to settle down. We are way too young to devote all our time and energy to one person that’s not you.

A relationship takes two people to be completely committed. Both must be ready to do what it takes to make the other person happy. I believe that during the duration of college, no girl or guy is ready to be, or should be, put in a position to be “wifed” up. This our time of trial and error and having a relationship would only make life harder because you have someone else to answer to.

On the other hand, if you’re in love and are willing to do what it takes to make it work, than kudos to you. You have another person right next to you through your college experience.

From my experience, I learned the hard way, but I’m glad I did, because it would have only gotten harder. I was in a fun, committed relationship for two years. We parted ways about six months ago. The hardest thing I ever did was to break out of my daily routine and realize that all I have is myself at the end of the day.

As time goes on I realize that I am happier making my own decisions instead of always putting someone else first. If I make mistakes, I only have myself to blame. It works, and there is a lot less fighting!

Dating is also something everyone should take part of. Dating allows you to create new relationships, good or bad, and allows you to learn from new people.

I also realize I am turning 21 years old, which entitles me to a whole other world, a world that doesn’t include relationships.

Women and men come and go. It’s hard to realize that when you're in a relationship or want a relationship from a specific person. But at the end of the day you have just got to say, “There’s plenty of fish in the sea.”

No comments: